As a football coach, I cannot emphasize enough how necessary a decent pair of football girdles is. Football is a high impact and contact sport. It can defeat the purpose if you don’t take proper precautions!
Football involves using your body as both an offensive and a defensive weapon frequently. However, that doesn’t mean you must endure bruises and sore muscles after your game. You, therefore, need specialized football shorts with pads to save you from injuries.
Today I strictly review the kind of girdles I’m sufficiently familiar with: The 11 best football girdles to pull on, whether you’re simply training, already playing full-contact, or simply preparing for the new season.
1. CHAMPRO Adult Tri-Flex Integrated 5 Pad Football Girdle - Best Overall Girdle
- FLEXIBLE: The Tri-Flex cushion system provides the...
- BUILT-IN PADS: The contoured, ventilated thigh pad...
- COMFORTABLE: DRI-GEAR technology wicks away...
- COMPRESSION FABRIC: Made of a Poly/spandex blend,...
- CUP POCKET: A built-in cup pocket provides space...
- Comfortable compression fit
- Rigid plastic shock plates to enhance protection
- A cup pocket
- Moisture management fabric
- 5 Pad Football Girdle
- Relatively thin pads compared to other football girdles in its price range, although it allows for extra football side pads
2. Shock Doctor Shockskin Lax Relaxed Fit Impact Short - Best Extra-Cup Protection
- IMPACT PROTECTION - Provides added shock...
- COMFORT - Integrated fabric and vented foam pads....
- CARBON CUP – Advanced multi-stage impact...
- PERFECT FOR – Any activity that requires some...
- CUP RETENTION SYSTEM - Integrates a wraparound...
- Vented protective pads
- Carbon Flex Cup technology for high absorption
- Relaxed fit for extra freedom of movement
- SHOCKSKIN integrated fabric and pad foam to wick moisture away from the skin
- Stylish design
- The tailbone pad could’ve used a bit more cushioning
3. Under Armor Men's 6-Pad Football Girdle - Best Standard Girdle
- HeatGear fabric, with all the benefits of UA...
- Stretch-mesh panels deliver strategic ventilation
- 4-way stretch construction moves better in every...
- Material wicks sweat & dries really fast
- Under Armour’s mission is to make all athletes...
- Pad pockets allow you to customize your preferred padding,
- Soft-touch fabric making them lightweight
- Can be worn without pads as underwear
- Anti-odor technology
- It doesn’t include pads
4. Cramer Skill 7-Pad Football Girdles - Best Durable Girdle
- Less cumbersome, thanks to reduced foam design.
- Mesh crotch panel for breathability
- Rugged for durability and high impact
- Stitching could use more reinforcement
5. Nike Pro Compression Hard Plate - Best Moisture Wicking Football Girdle
- Lightweight, low-profile, 6mm De-Tech padding on...
- Plastic hard plate protection on thighs. Elastic...
- Features Dri-FIT stretch mesh. Camo print details....
- Benefits Dri-FIT fabric helps keep you dry and...
- Dry wicking fabric
- Flat, well-done seams
- No cup pocket
6. McDavid Rival Hex - Best Quick Drying Football Girdle
- Flex air protective padding with integrated...
- 5-Pad impact protection coverage at hips, thighs...
- Four-way stretch mesh at groin area and inner...
- Bio-shape design provides comfortable compression...
- Ultra comfort fit waistband and dual layer front...
- hDcmoisture management to keep you dry in high heat areas
- Super flexible
- Cup pad inserts are sold separately
7. Nike Pro HyperStrong Hardplate - Best Small Padding For Big Protection
- Reinforced padding on all high impact areas
- Moisture-wicking technology
- Flat seam design
- Hyper strong design
- Responsive to your movement
- Mesh panels for sweat management
- No cup pocket
8. Adidas Techfit Ironskin - Best Innovative Technology
- Ventilated climacool keeps you cool and dry
- techfit focuses your muscles' energy to generate...
- Poron XRD Pad System absorbs impact, hit after hit
- Sturdy, reliable padding in all the right areas
- Focuses your muscle energy for increased power
- Ventilated design
- A bit too tight. You can buy one size up to get a better fit
9. Wilson Adult GST - Most Lightweight Football Girdle
- Compression fit
- Moisture-wicking technology
- Single density foam to reduce bulkiness
- Protective pads are a little too thin
10. Sports Unlimited - Best Value For Money
- Seven pad protection for your hips, thighs, knees...
- Flexible foam padding built to flex with your...
- Hard thigh pads provide addition protection for...
- Embossed Sports Unlimited shield logo on thigh...
- Breathable, ventilated foam in mesh panels
- Good value
- Seven integrated pad design, including knee pads
- Flexible fabric to increase comfort
- Seams made to reduce the risk of chafing
- Functional pants but not the most stylish in that price range
11. TUOY Men's Padded Compression Pants - Best Full Length Football Girdle
- Breathable, Quick Dry and Moisture Wicking
- High Elasticity and Tight, suitable for protection...
- 7 PCs professional foam padding provides good...
- Great for football, basketball, baseball, rugby,...
- Notice: cool wash it gently by hand, hang/lay flat...
- Reinforced padding on all high impact areas
- Moisture wicking anti-odor technology
- Durable flat seam design
- Responsive to your movement
- Full length
- A full length compression girdle may prove a little too restrictive so lookout for that.
Best Football Girdles - Our Buying Guide
What is a football girdle
A football girdle is an answer for the protection of the lower regions of your body. They are a pair of football compression shorts with pads strategically placed around the thigh, hip, tailbone, and even knee areas on some designs.
Other styles also feature a protective cup in the middle of the pants. Direct blows to the groin are rare but are debilitating if they occur without proper safety equipment, so keep that in mind.
What does a football girdle look like
There are thousands of girdle varieties—women’s corsets notwithstanding—to fit the vast categories of individualized needs, player skill levels, and budgets.
The rule of thumb where football girdles are concerned is to look out for comfort, breathability, mobility, durability, and overall quality.
Most football girdles provide a compression fit against your skin to protect your muscles, keep them in place to avoid strains and lactic acid buildup. They also come with either permanently sewn-in padding, standard pockets for inserts, a combination of both, or detachable sets of pads to protect your hips, thighs, crotch, and tailbone.
To find the best football girdle for you, it’s crucial first to understand what type of girdle you’re looking for. Know your playing position, your age, and skill level. Defensive positions require a proper padded design that’s rugged and durable without sacrificing dexterity. As a coach, during winter, I have to go for comfort and warmth as the sidelines tend to be overly harsh.
Once you figure out what category of football girdle you need, look for girdles within your budget that provide precisely what you require to enhance and compliment your game.
Check out our detailed football buying guide below, and choose the girdle that bests suits your needs:
Different brands design their football girdles with varying styles and padding types to give you extra impact protection and breathability. Some girdles come with pad pockets to allow you to customize your pad thickness, quality, and feel.
There are four types of padding, which include:
- Standard Girdles feature thigh, hip, and tailbone pockets where you can insert your own protective pads. The Under Armour Men’s 6-Pad Football Girdle Pants is our winner here.
- Integrated Girdles feature permanently built-in thigh, hip, and tailbone padding. A good example being the Champro Tri-Flex 5 pad football girdle.
- Half Integrated Girdles feature both sewn-in protective pads and inserts. A good example is the McDavid MD7414 Rival Football Girdle, which has sewn-in thigh, butt, and hip pads but leaves a cup pocket for additional padding sold separately.
- All-In-One football Girdles cone with a full set of protective padding, but unlike integrated girdle, these pads are detachable and can be removed or replaced as you see fit.
Whatever type of padding design you choose, please ensure the pads don’t skid around and are tightly secured in place for comfort and functionality.
Sometimes extra components can make all the difference when it comes to the best football girdles. Taking care of your body with the best girdle pants will allow you to play longer, harder, and at your maximum performance potential. Each of the girdles in the list has a unique distinguishing feature to suit individual preferences. For instance, the Sports Unlimited 7-pad girdle comes with knee padding for added protection of your knee caps.
Modern football girdles utilize mesh panels between the thighs and crotch area to improve airflow, damp hot air and generally keep the vital organs cool, dry, and comfortable. The Adidas Techfit Girdle has that ventilated climacool design to keep you cool and dry as can be. Pick girdles with moisture-wicking technology to control sweat retention on your skin, which can be pretty uncomfortable and irritating to the skin. Bacteria from sweat can cause infections and foul smell, so moisture-wicking technology is vital.
Great football girdles utilize high-quality materials that can endure in all weather conditions. The fabric strength should keep them functioning season after season. Look for stretchable, synthetic materials with seamless or reinforced seamed construction. A good pick for this category has to be Nike Pro HyperStrong Hardplate Graphic Football shorts. These Nike girdles are famous for their reinforced padding and flat seam design that doesn’t disintegrate when you wash. Brands such as Nike, Adidas, McDavid, Champro all offer high-quality sportswear.
You don’t want a material that chafes easily. Your girdle should be made of a durable, comfortable, breathable, and flexible fabric.
Most football girdles are made with nylon, polyester, and silicon or spandex for the waistband. Football pants that contain spandex usually fit around the body easily. Some brands incorporate up to four different fabrics for top-notch comfort, protection, durability, and flexibility.
Cotton is comfortable but may not offer moisture-wicking ability as the other synthetic materials.
If you like a decent pair of functional but stylish girdles, then you know why this aspect is essential. The Shock Doctor Shockskin girdle has that incredible, aggressive style and color with exciting configuration designs.
Style is ever a crucial element because when you look good, you play good!
Value for money
You get what you pay for. Ensure you get worth for your money. Check all features, compare the materials, and settle on an appropriate price tag.
Cramer skill seven pad girdle and Wilson Adult girdle have that low-profile compression fit that allows for maximum dexterity and a less cumbersome appearance. If you play in positions that require speed and agility but less combat, these pairs will do you justice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I know the right size girdle for me?
Check out the following football girdle size chart for loose basic sizing guidelines. Keep in mind that this is not a precise chart as different brands feature different sizing on their girdles.
|Youth Small||22″ – 24″|
|Youth Medium||26″ – 28″|
|Youth Large||30″ – 32″|
|Small||28″ – 30″|
|Medium||32″ – 34″|
|Large||36″ – 38″|
|XL||40″ – 42″|
|2XL||44″ – 46″|
|3XL||48″ – 50″|
How tight should a football girdle be?
The last thing you need is someone tugging on your pants to expose your bottom or constant girdle readjusting. Ensure the waist and hips fit snugly. You can wear them and try pulling them down or pushing the padding around to check if they fit well. It’s much easier to move in compressed pants as they act and feel like your second skin.
Must I wear a football girdle?
Must you sustain injuries? Football is an aggressive sport; you, therefore, need your girdle. A football girdle protects high impact and contact areas such as the hips and thighs and significantly minimizes injury risk.
What are the benefits of girdles
The compression increases blood flow, getting more oxygen to your muscles. This helps prevent lactic acid build-up; hence you won’t have sore muscles after your game.
Taking good care of your body with the best football girdles will ensure you play better, longer, harder, and at your highest performance potential.
It’s always wise to play hard and enjoy the game without exposing your body to the elements and brute force that football involves. You can’t quite do that without a proper pair of padded underwear for football, can you?
We always like to hear your questions, experiences, suggestions, and perspectives. Kindly drop your comments below, and we will be sure to get back to you.