Basketball might seem like a strictly American sport. But if you take just one look at the most popular sports statistics, they show its popularity worldwide. With an estimated 825 million followers and fans worldwide, you would think there are enough facilities to support and nurture new players.
As a kid, I remember that there used to be many places around town, from street-corners to empty parking lots, where we could shoot hoops for hours. But those spaces seem to be vanishing day by day, probably explaining why kids these days are less interested in this awesome sport.
This is why, as a school coach, I often recommend for those who can afford it, setting up an in-ground basketball hoop at home. You can easily attach one of these babies anywhere you want in a matter of a couple of hours and shoot hoops all day long. There is also the benefit of adjusting the height, so if you’re planning to encourage your kid to pick up the sport, you can easily adjust the hoop as needed.
Unless you know what you’re getting into, you might end up buying a poor quality in-ground basketball hoop that will start rattling after every other dunk. There are so many things to consider: sturdiness, size, adjustability, material, price. Here are my picks for the top 8 in-ground basketball hoops that you can get on Amazon based on different specs to help you avoid any frustrations.
Hercules Platinum Fixed Height - Best In-Ground Basketball Hoop
- High-performance in-ground fixed height 72 inch...
- Rock-solid 6 inch square one-piece pole with 7...
- Limited lifetime warranty that covers dunking and...
- 1 Inch thick high impact outdoor safety Pole and...
- Without the Rust Armor Package
On the top of my list is the Hercules Platinum Fixed Height In-ground Basketball Hoop, which I consider the best all-rounder in this list. I would say this is the best bang for your buck, considering the number of features that you’re getting at this price.
The Hercules Platinum – Fixed Height In-ground Basketball Hoop is made with galvanized structural components and stainless steel parts, making it extremely durable. The tempered-glass backboard is 1/2 inch thick and measures the standard backboard dimensions of 72 inches (standard NBA measurement).
The hoop’s 6X6 inch square pole is made from industry-grade materials, with 7 gauge thick walls. The package also includes a 1-inch thick high impact outdoor safety Pole and Gusset padding. Not only does it come with a lifetime warranty, but Rust Armor Package which includes coverage for the stainless steel hardware as well as an Entire System Zinc Galvanized and Extended Corrosion Warranty.
All in all, the best in-ground basketball hoop I usually recommend. The overall quality of the product is outstanding, making it a solid training tool for promising talents.
- Built with perfect NBA specs
- Highly polished look
- Comes with both lifetime and corrosion warranty
- Height is fixed and not adjustable
- A professional handyman is required for setting up the hoop
Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop - The Easiest Set Up
- Excellent Rebound with 3/8” Thick Tempered Glass...
- Adjustable Goal Height from 7.5’ to 10’ with...
- Included Anchor System Installs In-Ground and...
- Pro-Style Breakaway Rim Flexes Under Pressure for...
- 6”x6” Square Pole for Superior Strength
I couldn’t recommend anything better than this Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop in terms of flexibility of set-up and portability. The unique and simple design aesthetic allows you to bolt and unbolt this in-ground basketball hoop with extreme ease.
The Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop comes with a comparatively lighter pole and base than most of the other picks on my list. This allows the hoop to be fixed or unbolted at ease with just four bolts. The transparent see-through backboard has an overall dimension of 54 inches and is made of highly tempered crack-resistant glass. The pole’s height can be changed to any number between 7.5 to 10 feet with the built-in crank actuator.
Due to the lightweight build, the hoop’s pole is layered with a powdered coating during manufacture to prevent rust-formation. To prevent discoloration, the backboard also comes with a UV coating. If you want the backboard to be of larger dimensions, you can order the 60 and 72-inch ones separately.
If you’re accustomed to a lifestyle that involves frequent movement for you or your family, the Goalrilla GS54 Basketball Hoop makes perfect sense. Even though it’s not built with NBA specs, it’s a pretty solid hoop for practice.
- Easy to assemble and disassemble.
- A flexible hoop that can withstand more strain during dunks where you put your full weight on it.
- Durable nylon netting and breakaway rim that can be replaced cheaply and easily if damaged.
- A transparent backboard allows for easier bank shots.
- The customer service could be better.
- The default backboard is not of NBA specs standards.
Pro Dunk Platinum - The Best Adjustable Outdoor Basketball Hoop
- High-performance gym-quality adjustable in-ground...
- Massive 8x6 inch one-piece pole for rock solid...
- Limited lifetime warranty covers all basketball...
- Complete Padding Set - 1 Inch thick high impact...
- With the Rust Armor Package (Including: Stainless...
The Pro Dunk Platinum is an adjustable outdoor in-ground basketball hoop that features a transparent backboard similar to the above-mentioned Goalrilla GS54. The Pro Dunk Platinum: In-Ground Adjustable Outdoor Basketball Hoop has more nuanced features and sports a heavier build like the Hercules.
The backboard of the Pro Dunk Platinum is made of tempered glass that is .5 inch thick. The transparent glass is treated with a UV coating to prevent discoloration. The backboard specs are of pro-NBA standard, so you don’t have to worry about ordering an extra piece. The best feature of this in-ground basketball system is the flexibility in height setup.
The adjustable crank allows you to set the height of the pole anywhere between 5.5-10 feet. The pole itself is also cutting-edge, featuring four internal springs that provide robust support to the pole. On the flip side, the complex design requires hiring professional handymen to set it up. The hoop’s padding and the use of high-quality materials ensure that the Pro Dunk Platinum will last you for years to come.
If you’re looking for in-ground basketball hoops that are more kid-friendly and provide the advantages of a transparent backboard, I highly recommend the Pro Dunk Platinum hoop.
- Sturdy and durable build
- Dual-Canister stainless steel pole
- Lifetime and Corrosion guarantee also provided with the product
- The pole is quite heavy, which can make moving it around before and after installation and uninstallation quite difficult
Goalrilla FT Series - The Best Backboard
The Goalrilla FT series has a slightly better edge than the Goalrilla GS54 for some particular features. Otherwise, it is very similar to its other counterpart.
The key difference between the Goalrilla FT and the GS54 is the backboard. While the latter has a transparent backboard made of tempered glass, the Goalrilla FT features an anodized aluminum backboard frame.
This gives the backboard fame a sleek look that will last for years to come. The breakaway rim increases the hoop’s lifespan as it allows for more stress to be applied during dunks without fear of damage. The pole also comes equipped with dual extension arms that increase the base stability of the pole. The crank adjustor of the pole height allows the height to be changed between 7.5 to 10 feet.
If you’re looking for a more professional-looking in-ground basketball system, then I’ll definitely recommend the Goalrilla FT over the GS54.
- Comes with dual extension arms for increased stability
- Comes with a lifetime warranty like its counterparts
- More expensive than the average in-ground basketball hoop
- Not so great customer service
Silverback 60" Pro-Style Breakaway Rim - The Best Value Hoop
- PRO-STYLE LOOK AND PERFORMANCE — Premier...
- OPTION TO UNBOLT AND MOVE GOAL — Anchor...
- RIM FLEXES UNDER PRESSURE — Tempered glass...
- POWDER-COATED PROTECTION — Powder-coated steel...
- LIMITED WARRANTY — Product is backed by a 5-year...
The Silverback in-ground basketball hoop comes with a smaller backboard than some of the previous picks mentioned above but becomes its strength if your play space is small.
The Silverback’s stainless steel pole can be separated into two halves, which marks out the Silverback distinctively from its peers. This allows for easier assembly and installation for the hoop. It shares similar characteristics to the ones mentioned above- the actuator cranks allow the pole height to be changeable between 7.5 to 10 feet. It has extra padding for security and comes with a lifetime warranty.
If you’re looking for the best bang for your back, then the Silverback undoubtedly takes the top prize in this list, in my opinion.
- 60-inch tempered glass blackboard
- Colored with anti-corrosion rust protection paint from DuPont
- 2 feet extended overhang
- The anchor kit is not provided
Lifetime 71281 Power Lift - Best In-Ground Basketball Hoop Under $500
- 52" Steel Framed Shatterproof backboard is...
- Features Power Lift height adjustment mechanism;...
- 3 Piece 3.5" round pole features a friction-weld...
- Backed by a 5-year limited manufacturer warranty....
- UV protection and powder-coated steel. Weather...
This shiny and sleek-looking Lifetime 71281 is a solid piece of work, albeit a bit flashy. But this is actually part of its charm, considering the price you’re getting it at.
The first thing that you will notice about the Lifetime 71281 is that the backboard is 52 inches, which is a bit unusual considering the standard size specs. Unlike many in-ground basketball hoops that feature a square pole, the Lifetime 71281 features a round pole that can be separated into 3 pieces allowing for better portability. The only thing that I can nitpick about is the warranty period, which is only 5 years.
If you’re looking for an in-ground basketball system for under $500, I would say this is one of the best hoops you can get under budget.
- Comparatively lightweight, weighing only 84 pounds (38 kilos)
- 3 part pole allows for easier portability
- Durable and long-lasting
- The warranty period is 5 years only
Spalding "888" Series - Best In-Ground Basketball Hoop Under $1000
- In-ground basketball system with tempered glass...
- Heavy-duty steel frame; Flex breakaway rim for...
- U-Turn Pro lift system adjusts from 7 to 10 feet...
- J-bolt anchoring system; 1-piece, 6-inch square...
- Removable lift handle; heavy-duty Spalding and...
The choice of the NBA giants, Spalding, has always been one of my favorite brands in the market. But due to the high price range, I usually don’t recommend it to beginners. But the Spalding 888 is an exception, which is why it makes its way into this list.
The Spalding 888 features a four-corner Z arm mount, which immediately makes it noticeable, giving the hoop a professional look. The default backboard size is 54 inches, but you can easily order the larger ones to go along with your package. The actuator crank allows you to adjust the height as well. The accessories are also made of high-end materials, which come as no surprise.
If you’re looking for a branded basketball hoop under $1k, then the Spalding 888 is the perfect fit for you.
- NBA’s preferred brand
- Made with the best quality materials
- Heavy-duty wraparound support and pro-quality breakaway rim
- The backboard is a bit flimsy
- Installation can be a bit costly
Lifetime 90020 - Best Affordable In-Ground Basketball Hoop
- 48" Shatterproof Fusion backboard with a Makralon...
- Action grip adjustment mechanism provides easy...
- Rust-resistant powder coated pole and all weather...
- 18" Slam-It Rim is build with a 5/8-inch ring of...
- Includes pole pad; backed by a 5-year limited...
Like the Lifetime 71281, the Lifetime 90020 is also a budget in-ground basketball system with a few tweaks compared to its predecessor.
The key noticeable difference between the Lifetime 71281 and the Lifetime 90020 is the backboard size. The Lifetime 90020 features a smaller backboard of 48 inches but equally sturdy and durable. Though the pole isn’t made of stainless steel, it still comes with a rust-resistant coating. Pole pads and frame pads for the backboard are also provided.
If you’re looking for the most affordable basketball hoop without compromising quality, this is my bare minimum recommendation.
- Cheaper than the other candidates on this list
- The backboard has a UV coating
- High-quality flexible rim
- Difficult to install
- It comes with only a 5-year warranty
Best In-Ground Basketball Hoop - The Only Buying Guide You’ll Ever Need
Now that I’m done with my top 8 picks, I’m going to provide you with a basic rundown of all the things you need to know when it comes to buying an in-ground basketball hoop. On this best in-ground basketball hoop buying guide, we will cover the following aspects you need to keep in mind when making a purchase:
1. Location and Frequency of Use
The location and frequency of use are the biggest factors that you should consider when purchasing an in-ground basketball hoop. There is no point in buying a hoop with a large and bulky pole for a 2 car driveway. Again, if you’re not shooting hoops daily, then there is no point in getting a hoop with a 72-inch backboard, even if you have a 4 car driveway. Please make your purchase decision based on the availability and how frequently it’s going to be used. That way, you’ll avoid wasting unnecessary money on the purchase.
2. Quality of Materials Used in the Pole and Secondary Components
The quality of the materials of the hoop is just as important as the budget. Don’t cheap out and settle for a cheap in-ground basketball hoop unless you intended to flush your money down the toilet.
Hoops made of poor quality material are susceptible to a wide number of issues such as rusting, discoloration, the pole itself getting bent or broken if stressed excessively, the pool starts shaking due to the bolts getting loose, and so on. There are some 4 key things you should keep into consideration when it comes to considering the materials.
- How thick is the metal sheet used in making the pole? Try not to go for anything less than one inch thick unless it provides distinct advantages like portability.
- Whether the hoop’s pole is made of stainless steel? Your hoop will have to tough out a lot of bad weather, including rain and snow. If the core components aren’t made out of stainless steel, it will get damaged and worn out very quickly.
- If not, does the metal have any protective coating? Hoops that are not made out of stainless steel are often treated with a protective coating to prevent rust. If that much is not specified on the product specs, don’t consider buying that hoop.
- Is the rim of the hoop secure and stable? The rim and the net meshing that comes with it should be secure and stable, just like the pole. The last thing you want is looking blankly at the damage as the stress of a high-velocity bank shot or dunk as the rim gets broken or bent.
3. Quality of the Backboard
The quality of the backboard is just as important as the quality of the pole itself. Transparent backboards made of tempered glass are all the rage these days. Bank shots and long-distance shots can be practiced very accurately with these kinds of backboards, so go with a transparent one if possible. If you opt for a non-transparent one, try to stick with white ones.
4. Age of the Player and Hoop Height
Age 2-4: For this age bracket, 6.5’ to 7.5’ height is perfect considering the height of the player
Age 5-9: 8’ is the appropriate height for this age bracket
Age 10-12: For these age bracket, the official size for high school, college, and professional basketball hoops are 10′.
Age 15+: 10′ is fine for this age bracket.
5. The Installation Process
For installing most in-ground basketball hoops, you need the help of a handyman unless you’re good with that kind of stuff yourself. For mounting the pole, a cement base is used to stabilize the hoop, which takes about 86 hours to complete. Keeping this in mind, you should go for hoops that are easy to install and inexpensive to remove.
This isn’t that big of a factor, unlike the ones I discussed above. You should consider portability only if you’re constantly on the move. Otherwise, stick to standard in-ground basketball hoops as they are more stable and durable.
Let’s be honest here- a good in-ground basketball hoop doesn’t come cheap. Even the ones meeting the bare minimum standards can set you back for a few hundred dollars. Keep this in mind while you are setting aside your budget. Please don’t go for cheap ones as it will ultimately end up getting damaged within a very short time.
Additional accessories like yard nets help keep the ball within the bounds of the play area, preventing situations where you or your kid needs to run down a busy street to recover the ball. If you’re planning to play during the evening hours, you can also opt for LED hoop lights to illuminate the play area.
Frequently Asked Questions
As promised, here are the answers to some of the basic FAQs that new in-ground basketball buyers often end up scratching their heads over!
What is the best in-ground basketball system? What is the best basketball hoop to buy?
As promised, here are the answers to some of the basic FAQs that new in-ground basketball buyers often end up scratching their heads over!
What size basketball hoop do I need?
If you’re a teenager or an adult, any in-ground basketball hoop will do as long as the backboard is 72 inches.
How tall is an NBA hoop?
The standard height of a basketball hoop as specified by the NBA is 10 feet.
How much space do I need for a basketball hoop?
When setting up an in-ground basketball system, you want at least 10 feet of concrete in front of your goal, but 15 feet is more preferable, which is the exact distance of the free-throw line.
What brand basketball hoop does the NBA use?
NBA’s preferred brand for official games is Spalding.
What is better polycarbonate or acrylic backboard?
Definitely polycarbonate backboards! Polycarbonate backboards are stronger than acrylic backboards and last much longer. Legend has it that you can’t break polycarbonate backboards even with a solid whack of a baseball bat.
Is a 54-inch backboard big enough?
It depends on your playing area, actually. A larger backboard means easier shots, but a 54-inch backboard is just as good as a 72 inch one if you’re short on space. The general rule of thumb is 54 and 60 inches are good for 2 car driveways, but if the play space is more, you should go for 72-inch backboards.
How deep does a basketball pole need to be in the ground?
The standard minimum depth for a basketball pole for installation is 4 feet deep.
How much concrete do I need for a basketball hoop?
That depends on how deep the pole is being installed. The following formula is used to calculate the cubic feet: length X width X depth. To put in an example- a hole that’s 2 feet long, 2 feet wide, and 2 feet deep are 8 cubic feet. Multiply the cubic feet by .45. If you’re using a 60-pound concrete bag, multiply by .6 and .8 in the case of 80-pound bags.
The 4th Quarter
Now that I’ve given you my recommendations and provided you with all that you need to know about in-ground basketball hoops, hopefully, you’ll have an easier time buying one.
You’ll notice that some features offset others in many cases, but that’s a given when you’re looking at a varied market. But hey, just because I’m a coach doesn’t mean that I’m a know-it-all, so if you have any better recommendations, please leave a comment below!